Using Oatmeal as an example, here are the basic steps for proper soaking:
- Mix the grains – whole or flour form – with whatever liquid is called for in the recipe, along with the sweetener and fat. (Add 10% wheat flour if using oats)
- If the liquid is water or milk, replace 1 Tbs per cup with an acidic medium: vinegar, lemon juice, whey
- If the liquid is something cultured already, you can just mix it up with the grain: yogurt, buttermilk, kefir
- Allow to rest at room temperature for 12-24 hours.
- Add remaining ingredients and proceed with recipe.
Source: Katie Kimball