In addition to making a perfect breakfast, these healthy and delicious Latkes Potato Pancakes are also great as a side dish or appetizer with savory foods! This particular version of “latkes” calls for a combination of fat-free potato and sweet potato to enhance the nutrition as well as the color in this popular creation. Olive oil is then added to the mixture to enhance the flavors even more!
The result is fabulous:
The cakes were decidedly not mushy, as I remembered latkes of old; they were crispy on the outside and supple on the inside, the potatoes just cooked. They held together beautifully and offered up an alluring aroma of caramelized onion and fragrant dill as they were grilled.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make a batch of these Two-Toned “Latkes” Potato Pancakes:
3 small white or Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and grated
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and grated
1 large onion, grated
2 Tbsp. (10 ml) extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup (110 g) kamut flour or (100 g) whole spelt flour
2 tsp. (10 ml) baking powder
3/4 tsp. (7.5 ml) fine sea salt
1 Tbsp. (15 ml.) finely ground flax seeds
2 Tbsp. (30 ml) water
1 tsp. (5 ml) garlic powder
1 Tbsp. (15 ml) dried dill weed
1/2 tsp. (2. 5 ml) smoked paprika
Now just follow these simple steps:
1. Using a food processor or box grater, grate the potatoes and sweet potatoes and place in a large colander.
2. Squeeze the mixture with your hands as if squeezing a sponge to get out as much of the starchy liquid as you can. Place in a large bowl.
3. Grate the onion and add it to the potato mixture along with the remaining ingredients. Mix together very well, using your hands if necessary.
4. Heat a cast iron or other nonstick skillet over medium heat. Using a large ice cream scoop or 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop the mixture into the pan, flattening the pancakes with a spatula (they should be fairly flat).
5. Cook about 3-4 minutes, until bottoms are golden; flip and cook on the other side another 3 minutes or so, until golden. Keep pancakes warm as you continue to cook them.
6. Serve immediately with apple sauce, sour cream, ketchup, cranberry sauce, chutney, or other topping of choice.
If you would like to see more healthy recipes for early morning energy, then please Like our Facebook Page!
Source: Ricki Heller